avoidingeurope

Thoughts and tales from the saddle - on my own in Europe.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

In the beginning...

This is it then. My trip Blog. Wow...I feel suddenly nervous.

Although it's about one year six months until the start of the trip proper, there is so much going on at the moment that I thought I had better start this Blog. This will hopefully serve many purposes, not least as an online journal to track my progress both in preparation and mileage.

I guess I had better bring it up to speed then.

Well, I'm about four months into this - that is, four months from the point when I decided I was actually going to do this. I have had the idea in the back of my mind for years. November 6 2004 (my 27th birthday) is the date I consider to be the birthday of this...umm...thing.

Anyway - four months in. I have a fairly good idea of my exact route, which needs a bit of tweaking to avoid/incorporate certain mountian ranges, depending on how I feel. But basically it is done. I have sent around 30 letters to various people asking for money, equipment, TV coverage, toilet paper etc. and have so far had nothing but negative response. I am still waiting on 'The Big Ones', namely the bike manufacturers and cycling specific equipment people.

I have had some contact with the British Heart Foundation, who seem to be happy that I have chosen to support them, but haven't indicated that I need to do anything beyond that thought! They do, quite rightly, point out that the start of my trip is still quite a way off, though.

What else? Oh yeah - the Echo took my photo today (wear my BHF t-shirt) and an article on me should be out by the end of this week. I'm not really sure what it's going to say, or, to be honest, why I put myself up for it. I mean, what will I actually gain from it? Apart from the fact that my employers will now know that I plan to piss off in just over a year!

My monthly savings scheme is in full force and I am just about managing to survive £326 lighter each month. It's not easy though, and it nearly annoys me sometimes that it is money, and money alone, that is stopping me leaving sooner. I've already put the start date back a year! Money eh? Crap, isn't it. £326 a month is peanuts to some people. That's life I suppose.

Anyway - before I drag this first post down any further. What else?

Well, I've started training to an extent. My 1 mile cycle ride home every night is now about 5 miles. I'm enjoying it mostly, which is a relief considering.

I think I'll leave it there for now. Too much for one post already, but a reasonable 'background' post to get this up to speed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home