avoidingeurope

Thoughts and tales from the saddle - on my own in Europe.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Day 38 - Ribadeo - North West Spain

There´s been a few notable landmarks reached since I last was able to write on here. ´One month away´ was over a week ago now - I left on 12th March, started cycling on the 13th. I´m now well into my fifth week ´on the road´. I´ve also cycled more than 1000 miles, I discovered this morning. About 1100 now, actually.

Numbers aside, the last ten days or so have been quite eventful. I´ve eaten tapas whilst ´talking´ with Spanish people (they talked, I did my nodding/shaking head at seemingly appropriate points routine), made friends with a couple from the Basque country, drank brandy with an eighty-something-year-old English couple in their campervan, met and cycled for a day with a lonely guy from New Zealand who talked too much, stayed in a town called ´Poo´, and had my hardest day - physically and mentally - of the trip so far.

That was yesterday and pretty much the end of this North coast for me now. I´ve seen and met a lot of people on the ´Pilgrims Route´ to Santiago Compostella in the last week or so. I´ve also been asked if I´m on it myself many times, but I´m not - I´m avoiding things like that, remember? So I´ve no real desire to keep going to Santiago for the sake of it. Portugal beckons, as does the rest of Spain after that, so it´s time to head South.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:23 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    Damn fine work there Percy!

     
  • At 10:18 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Go Percy!

     
  • At 10:41 am, Blogger P. said…

    Any regrets? Hope not. It's easy to be sat at home, on a nice, comfy chair I don't have to ride anywhere (unless you include swiveling to grab a pen off the table behind me) and be really envious - but then you're not exactly making a meal of the grueling side of it. You're making it sound like it's the best thing since mass produced vodka. The odd tale of grit, determination and psychological hardship would stop me wanting to do what you're doing so dish it, blokie!

     
  • At 12:17 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    great to hear what your up to dude! glad all is going so well! keep it real! ally xxx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home