avoidingeurope

Thoughts and tales from the saddle - on my own in Europe.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Day 75 - Balaguer - at the foot of the Pyrenees

I saw them today for the first time, the moutains, looming on the horizon as I cruised along the last few miles of this plain. I've spent a long time looking at the map for this next bit and been told many scary stories - the roads are full of lorries and very dangerous, not to mention choked with fumes, Andorra's a horrible place anyway - don't bother, you'll be going uphill for a long, long time. I like that last one, as if it was news to me that crossing the Pyrenees was going to involve going uphill.

I think I just need to get on with it now so tomorrow I head up into the foot hills, granny-gear at the ready.

Mountains aside, I am quite looking forward to getting back to France, for a number of reasons. Spain has been good - very good - but it's been long and, at times, seemed impossible. Crossing that border will be sweet. I am also meeting friends in France for a 4 or 5 day rest - the first familiar faces I will have seen for three months. And then of course there's the Super U.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:55 pm, Blogger P. said…

    How've you been coping with the weather, P? It's been arse here but my folks say it's worse in France and apparently parts of Spain are flooded.

     
  • At 8:30 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The really big plus about going up the pyrenees is that once you're at the top, you will be able top free wheel across half of France! :o)

    Using google earth, 'cause that's all I can do, I can see what people might mean about andorra. I reckon the views will be spectacular but you may struggle to find a pub and a post office within 50 miles of each other.... Canillo looks like you best bet if you want to meet people rather than mountain goats ;o)

    Anyway, I hope everything is good in Percy world.

     
  • At 2:45 pm, Blogger Percy Herbert said…

    I did reply about the weather from Spain, saying I seem to have avoided the bad stuff and was still slapping on the suncream, but the computer crashed before it posted.

    Seems I've caught up with it now - it's been raining all day.

     
  • At 8:20 pm, Blogger P. said…

    but the computer crashed before it posted

    That's Wanadoo (or Orange or whatever it is now) for you. Hope you missed the worst of it, mate.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home